Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Psalm 120

A song of ascents.

I call on the LORD in my distress, and he answers me. Save me, O LORD, from lying lips and from deceitful tongues. What will he do to you, and what more besides, O deceitful tongue? He will punish you with a warrior's sharp arrows, with burning coals of the broom tree. Woe to me that I dwell in Meshech, that I live among the tents of Kedar! Too long have I lived among those who hate peace. I am a man of peace; but when I speak, they are for war.


In today’s Psalm 120, the Lord reminded me to cry out to the Lord to save me from lying lips and from deceitful tongue. Somehow, I seemed to be dwelling in Meshech, among the tents of Kedar, among those who hate peace. But I shall not be influenced by my surroundings, I shall continue to declare peace and not war… I shall follow the Lord, my God all the days of my life.

Praise the Lord!!!



Psalms 120-134 are songs of ascents. They speak of the Israelites taking their pilgrimages to the temple at Jerusalem from all parts of Israel. The reason that these are songs of ascents because Jerusalem is on a highland, the mountain of Zion… As the people walk towards Jerusalem, they would be looking up towards Zion as they continue their journey up to the temple of the Lord. The journey takes days as they walk up the mountain… By the law given through Moses (in Deuteronomy 12), all are required to return to Jerusalem to worship the Lord at Zion and no where else.

DT 12:1 These are the decrees and laws you must be careful to follow in the land that the LORD, the God of your fathers, has given you to possess--as long as you live in the land…. DT 12:4 You must not worship the LORD your God in their way. 5 But you are to seek the place the LORD your God will choose from among all your tribes to put his Name there for his dwelling. To that place you must go; 6 there bring your burnt offerings and sacrifices, …. 10 But you will cross the Jordan and settle in the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, and he will give you rest from all your enemies around you so that you will live in safety. 11 Then to the place the LORD your God will choose as a dwelling for his Name--there you are to bring everything I command you: your burnt offerings and sacrifices, your tithes and special gifts, and all the choice possessions you have vowed to the LORD…. 13 Be careful not to sacrifice your burnt offerings anywhere you please. 14 Offer them only at the place the LORD will choose in one of your tribes, and there observe everything I command you.

No comments: