Friday, January 4, 2008

Psalm 5

Psalm 5

Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.
You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell. The arrogant cannot stand in your presence; you hate all who do wrong. You destroy those who tell lies; bloodthirsty and deceitful men the LORD abhors.
But I, by your great mercy, will come into your house; in reverence will I bow down toward your holy temple. Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies--make straight your way before me.
Not a word from their mouth can be trusted; their heart is filled with destruction. Their throat is an open grave; with their tongue they speak deceit. Declare them guilty, O God! Let their intrigues be their downfall. Banish them for their many sins, for they have rebelled against you.
But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

It is day 5 of the Year 2008 since we started reading Psalms. I just enjoyed so much the growth in Intimacy with my God and I prayed that you too will be able to grow in Intimacy with the Lord.

There were many who came to me to ask me about the history of Psalms, the background, the context, etc., etc. They wanted to know how they can know more about Psalms so that as they read the Book of Psalms in this first 5 months, they can appreciate what the Psalmists are saying in a deeper way. I thought to myself, I thought that is very good and it is a wonderful idea… But somehow, I just felt “funny” or “a sense of different feeling” when I pondered deeper over what they asked me…

Then I realized my approach in reading Psalms in these first few days as we entered the Year of Sabbath was very different from those who asked me more about the study of Psalms. I felt that I just want to grow more intimately with my God through my daily reading of Psalms and listen to what He has to tell me today. And I would like to encourage many who are reading my devotions in my blog that it is ok if you felt inadequate and not know a lot about the Book of Psalms. As you read it daily, just sing it to the Lord with your own melody, and begin to hear God singing back to you… That is all you need to do. Have your daily devotion with the Lord. The Lord, your lover just wants to have an intimate time with you, not to conduct a literature lesson to you.


Anyway, as I read Psalm 5 today, I learnt that whenever we approach God, we need to always remember to approach God in humility. Cry out to Him for help, lay our requests before Him, but learn to wait patiently, yet in expectation eagerly awaiting God’s response to our prayers. We need to know that we can only enter His house by His grace and mercy… The Lord will never despise anyone who come to Him with a broken spirit and a contrite heart... Today, all of you who need help, but dare not draw near to the Lord... The Lord says, come..., come back to the Father, who loves you very much.

Psalm 5 says, all those who take refuge in the Lord will find the joy of the Lord. They will be protected and shielded by God’s hand and need not fear anymore… Our God does not delight in evil and He will not allow wicked to rule. Hence you can rest assured in the Lord that your enemies who are against you will not succeed in defeating you because YOU have the Victory in our Lord Jesus Christ!!!

Amen!!!

No comments: