Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Psalm 3

Psalm 3
O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! Many are saying of me, "God will not deliver him." Selah
But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. Selah
I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. Arise, O LORD! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked. From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people. Selah

In today's devotion, I receive so much assurance from the Lord telling me that I do not need to fear when I go through adversities... I should rest in God's protection fully know well that if God is for me, no one can be against me!!! Whatever difficulties I face, I can rest assured that the Lord will deliver me from my enemies.

As I continue to wait upon the Lord for His word... I cannot help but felt the pain in David's heart... of how he would have felt when he was fleeing from his own son, Absalom... The context of Psalm 3 goes back to when King David fled from Absalom, who took over the kingdom from David and wanted to kill David. (2 Samuel 15:10-16)
Then Absalom sent secret messengers throughout the tribes of Israel to say, "As soon as you hear the sound of the trumpets, then say, `Absalom is king in Hebron.' " Two hundred men from Jerusalem had accompanied Absalom..... And so the conspiracy gained strength, and Absalom's followers kept on increasing. A messenger came and told David, "The hearts of the men of Israel are with Absalom." Then David said to all his officials who were with him in Jerusalem, "Come! We must flee, or none of us will escape from Absalom. We must leave immediately, or he will move quickly to overtake us and bring ruin upon us and put the city to the sword." The king's officials answered him, "Your servants are ready to do whatever our lord the king chooses." The king set out, with his entire household following him; but he left ten concubines to take care of the palace.

It must have been a super difficult time for David to be betrayed by his own son who turned against him. When David cried out "To the LORD I cry aloud...", he must have been really very very sad... At that moment, David can only cling on to God and depend on God to fight the battle for him... In 2 Samuel 16:11, David then said to Abishai and all his officials, "My son, who is of my own flesh, is trying to take my life. How much more, then, this Benjamite!..." we can see that David was not even bothered with someone cursing him because he was so heart pained by his own son trying to pursue him...

I just felt prompted today to share this: we need to return to our natural & spiritual fathers and bring delight to their hearts... I believe somehow, there may be many fathers whose hearts are in pain due to their children "turning against them"... in certain ways. Today, lets pray for the Lord to turn the hearts of the children back to their fathers and turn the hearts of the fathers back to their children.

I believe today some of us also need to turn our hearts back to God our Heavenly Father who love us so much... Let us stop our "wars" with the Lord and with one another so that we can fully enter the Year of Sabbath, a Year where we can REST from all the "battles" which tired us so easily. Let us grow in INTIMACY with the Lord and with one another.

May the Lord bless us with His Love!!!

No comments: