Sunday, March 25, 2007

Renew your mind!

(today's devotion is brought to you by Samantha, Shauna and Wan Lin)

Scripture Reference: Romans 8: 1-14

How many of you struggle with sin? Well, I know I do. There was a point in my life when, while seemingly obeying what my parents told me to do, I was actually angry and rebellious on the inside, even when I knew what they told me was right.

“I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.” (Romans 7:15)

I used to wonder why this was so, then I realized that although I had been a Christian for very long (since birth) I had not renewed my mind! “For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.” (Romans 17:18b) I realized that sin was still living in my life and controlling me, controlling my emotions and actions, although in my head, I knew what was right.

How did I manage to overcome the sin in my life and live victoriously?
It was actually Jesus who did it, and not me. “You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you.” (V9a)

All I had to do was to let the Spirit of God take over and take control. Romans 6:11 & 12 tell us, “In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.” Jesus has actually already died on the cross for us, and the sin that is in our life is already dead! For me, what was important was to confess my sins, renounce them, and pray to God, asking Him to renew my mind and take His rightful place in my life.

Knowing that I was living by the Spirit also reminded me that I had “an obligation – but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it.” (V12) Living in the Spirit, to me, meant growing in the fruit of the Spirit – in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control! It also reminded me to live in love and in thanksgiving, thanking God for saving me from my sin and for renewing my mind!

So, when you encounter someone or a situation that can bring out the worst in you, pause and check your thoughts. Can you let the Holy Spirit guide you to respond rather than let out your usual reactions? When your life is Spirit-filled, the fruit of it will come forth naturally.

Today do you struggle with a persistent sin you just cannot seem to overcome? By your might and strength, you will never be able to defeat the sin. Why don’t you just take that step to the cross today to pray for a renewal of your mind? Repent of your sin and renounce it, and start making a conscious effort to live in the Spirit and by the Spirit. Breakout and experience your year of victory!
(today's devotion is brought to you by Samantha, Shauna and Wan Lin)

No comments: