Thursday, March 22, 2007

Discipline = love

(Today's devotion is brought to you by Cheryl, Pearl and Dawn)

Scripture Reference: Nehemiah 9:6-37


I remember vividly when I was still in primary school, my mum would wield the cane whenever I misbehaved. She would first warn me, then when I misbehaved again, I’d get smacked on the hand. After the punishment, my mother would tell me what I did wrong, and she made it very clear that she still loved me.

Despite getting many canings in my childhood years and angering my mother time and again, she never gave up on me or stopped taking good care of me. She always gave me the best food possible for my growth, and loved me all the same.

The Lord loves us many more times, in the same manner. In today’s passage, it records that He brought the Israelites out of captivity, gave them the Ten Commandments, fed them with manna, when they had enough of bread, he gave them quails, provided water when they were thirsty. He blessed them with the promised land and numerous descendants.

Time and again, when the Israelites grumbled against Him, He punished them. But when the Israelites cried out to Him, He forgave them and did not abandon them.

The seed of unfaithfulness passed on to the next generation. The Israelites’ descendants did not keep God’s commands, and hence God handed them over to the neighboring peoples to discipline them, v30. The blessing and freedom which they enjoyed, was taken away.

Many times, we blame God for taking away something precious in our lives. But have we examined our lives carefully to see if we have displeased God in any way?

Punishment is never pleasant, but if God wants us to change for the better, He will discipline.

Sometimes, the devil would deceive us by telling us that we have sinned too many times for God to forgive us. That is NOT TRUE! Once we are God’s children, we will always be God’s children. God will never abandon us.

So today, tell yourself that you are God’s child, remember that God’s love is everlasting. Yet at the same time, don’t take God’s love for granted.

God’s love is new every morning, let’s give thanks for His mercy and love!


(Today's devotion is brought to you by Cheryl, Pearl and Dawn)

No comments: