Thursday, March 29, 2007

Do you look out for the people behind you in a race?

(today's devotion is brought to you by Samantha, Wan Lin and Shauna)

Scripture Reference: Romans 15:1-7

I had once been touched by a friend. She was really good on a subject while on the other hand, I was rather weak. One day, she spoke with me. She told me that she would be willing to help me out in that subject. I was quite taken aback, so I replied, “You know actually it’s ok. You are already “running” so far ahead of me, if you are to turn back to help me out, you might slow yourself down.”

She turned and just smiled at me. “Actually, I believe that in this race, there can be many winners, let’s win this together.” I was deeply moved…

My brothers and sisters, just as how verse 1 is read, we “ought to bear with the failings of the weak”.

Many a time, we have been too caught up with achieving our own goals that we find that we just have no time, NO TIME at all to wait for others. Why? Have you been too caught up with your goal of winning the race in life? About pursuing your own successes, reaching your aims that you find it a chore to slow down your pace to fit in to the weaker ones to help them? Do you find yourself getting agitated or easily irritated by people who are slower and weaker or considering that if they were not even present, you could have progressed so much more?

Pause for a while now to think about it. “Selfishness”… Have you been selfish? Are you willing to “accept one another” and build up the strength of God’s family?

Are you willing to pause in a midst of a race, just to go back to lookout for your fellow neighbour who is struggling at the back?

“… We must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive’ ”

Think of someone now who have been struggling with certain issues and you haven’t been initiating to help at all. Remember you don’t have to be the best runner to be able to help. Turn around and LOOK FAR, you might see someone in need.

(today's devotion is brought to you by Samantha, Wan Lin and Shauna)

No comments: