Sunday, May 4, 2008

Psalm 126 (5th May)

A song of ascents.

When the LORD brought back the captives to Zion, we were like men who dreamed. Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them." The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Restore our fortunes, O LORD, like streams in the Negev. Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him.


Today’s Psalm is somewhat different… Psalm 126 is a post exile Psalm which is also a song of ascents. What does that means? The people having returned from exile, should be more appreciative. Hence, I can feel the joy in their hearts when they returned back to Jerusalem… as they climbed up Mount Zion…
As I asked the Lord what He would like to say to me today… I felt appreciative of what the Lord has done for me and granted me salvation. However, I also felt that the Lord reminded me of the reason why the Israelites were exiled in the first place… because they did not follow God’s commands… This is very consistent with what God spoke to us through SP’s message on Psalm 119 to remind us to return to the Word of God…

This is a good reminder to me too to return to the Lord and to His Word.

No comments: